Monday, January 19, 2009

OMG .. what a shock !

This morning the mail man came as per normal - and phyliss came up stairs and handed me a letter - i looked at it and it was my own hand writing - it was a christmas card that had been returned - insufficent address it had on the back - return to sender ..

So I rang the person in question only be told some terrible news which has left me in total shock all day ..

The lady in question is a long time friend of my mum's .. anyway this lady's husband has had up's and downs over the past few years with cancer .. also in that time she lost her beloved Mum ...

We all thought her husband was doing ok .. Mum rang her just before they left to go on their trip around Australia and things were fine .. it wasn't until christmas time that mum said to me "I haven't heard from ....." .. which we all thought was odd .. but didn't think anything of it cause I said to mum "oh they've probably gone away for christmas" ..

When I rang her today to tell her that her christmas card was returned to me - I asked her how they were doing - and that's when she told me .. She found her husband on the lawn in the backyard after doing some gardening (which he loved) .. he had had a massive stroke and was wisked off to hospital ..

They ran all sorts of tests etc - only to be told it was a brain tumor .. well you could have floored me i'm telling ya .. I almost cried while saying "oh my god i'm so sorry, i'm so sorry - why didn't you ring us" ..

The tumor was benign - thank god !! - but had grown so much that the damage was done .. I won't go into details - as it's far too distressing for me atm and I'm on the verge of tears yet again ...

I asked if the tumor was secondary cancer from his prior cancer but NO it was a seperate issue - that they suspect had been their for quite a few years .. he now has to live in a nursing home - which should be available in a few weeks time .. when he's all settled in nanna, phyliss and i are going over to visit with him ..

I just can't believe it .. he was a very active man .. loved his gardening .. I remember seeing him outside in his green house pottering around - plants and soil every where .. he just loved it ..

The thoughts of everyone in my family go out to them in this horrible time .. we're just a phone call away if there is anything that they need .....

0 comments: